Monday, May 2, 2011

Goody Gum Drops

So I've entered this in Made by Rae's Spring Top Sewalong. I finally managed to convince my other half to take some photos of me in my new top. I have partially delayed a post on this hoping to make a matching skirt, however I keep procrastination and the competition deadline for  is looming.




So! About the top:

The pattern was originally draped for Cure Blossom, and it is insanely difficult to buy what you want at our local Spotlight so I decided to try dying fabric for the first time. Unfortunately, it came out too close in colour as another used in the top; ergo it became unusable. I really liked the colour against the purple fabric, and I had an 'ah-ha!' moment and decided it would also be great as a top.
  • Self-draped previously as a dress, I modified it to be a top.
  • Self-covered buttons, (my Gumdrops!) to be matchy-matchy.
  • My design aesthetic didn't want visible machine stitching, so the blouse is lined and has self-made bias binding.
  • The fabric is cotton drill and what I think is a cotton/linen blend. The pink was originally white, and dyed with Rit dye. 

My favourite part of it all is the back of the top. I'm pretty sure I will make this  design once again, but the plan is with rainbow striped fabric and making a dress.




Oh, and the flower is detachable, as a brooch. I thought it was a cute accent to the top. The idea of the ensemble is the intention that it could become one of the outfits I wear doing balloon twisting. Keeping it cute, unique and colourful! (Just what I love)

Thanks for reading, and please wish me luck!


5 comments:

  1. Love the top! Very cute design and the colours look so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much ladies! I started doing a tutorial on the flower, I think I'll have to finish it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rebecca! It is fun to wear too :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! Ask, comment, share the love...!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...